Monday 7 December 2009

Ergonomics

Out of the many consoles I have played I found that the Sega master system probably had the easiest controllers to get a hang of. It was so simple even for me when I was like 4/5 years old. A simple two button control system with a d pad was just so easy to work. Whereas nowadays the average console has around 8 eight buttons, a d pad and 2 analog sticks. No wonder everyone’s mother struggles at the very thought of playing on a console nowadays. Whereas I imagine it would have been a lot easier for an inexperienced gamer to work out the controls of the earlier consoles.

Out of all the platforms released today, I find the Wii to be the most aesthetically appealing. It looks almost futuristic with its blue might and its sleek design. It also looks perfect next to almost any TV.

I think that the future of interaction with consoles will be based on emotions and movement. I believe that in the not too distant future with the ever increasing understanding of the brain, Console Company designers will discover a way of controlling games with our thoughts. I also believe that consoles will be based around our senses so that not only can we see and hear the world inside the computer game, but we will be able to smell and taste it. The way of the controller and joystick is on the extinction path already with Sony inventing the Eye Toy and Microsoft releasing project Natal the human being is the controller of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment